Latest Gig Job News: November 1st 2017
Uber gets 3-year reprieve! After 750,000+ Londoners showed their outrage at TFL’s attempt to remove Uber from London streets, the courts have awarded Uber 3 years to appeal TFL’s decision. Meanwhile Uber is allowed to continue its rideshare program until the matter is settled and Londoners can again get affordable rides.
A self-proclaimed “gig boss” has been driving with Uber for just over a year and says she absolutely loves the flexibility.
We asked this mother of two what the upsides and downsides were when working in the gig industry.
- Flexibility allowing her to work whenever and wherever she wants.
- Same-day “cash-outs” allowing her to earn interest on income immediately without waiting for her earnings to be deposited.
- No helicopter bosses – full autonomy.
- Ability to take as many holidays as she wants without requiring the consent of a manager or an HR department. “If I want to spend 2 months in the Serengeti or North Pole, it’s a no-brainer” she says.
- Every day is a new experience. Interesting conversations and unique perspectives. One gains a tremendous insight into human nature.
- Being self-employed, you call the shots. Uber is simply an application that drivers and riders use.
- Sitting in a vehicle for long periods is not good for you. Getting out and stretching between rides and walking is key, as is joining a gym.